I am an actress, dancer, pianist, singer, traveler, writer. Things to expect on this blog: anything to do with anything performance-arts related, including Shakespeare, pictures of me in plays and concerts, interviews with actors/directors/producers, trailers, Doctor Who, Sherlock, Supernatural, Merlin, Star Trek, Once Upon a Time, and more. Also pretty pictures, random life stories, wisdom from Neil Gaiman, gay rights advocation, and occasionally news.
So, this exists. And is wonderful. And indescribable.
Return to the Forbidden Planet is a musical (very) loosely based on the plot of Shakespeare’s Tempest, set in outer space. It draws inspiration from shows such as Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica, and all of the music is 50’s rock. Roughly 90% of the text (non-music text, that is) is Shakespeare or ‘Makespeare,’ lines from Shakespeare that have been altered to be funny or better suit the story. The American Shakespeare Center is performing it at the Blackfriar’s Playhouse in Staunton, Virginia through the fall, and if you are going to be anywhere nearby, GO because you will fall out of your seat with laughter and come out not really sure what you have seen, but very, very, very happy and entertained.
As a side note for you theatre folks, although the music is written to be done by an orchestra with electric instruments, the ASC has no orchestra and no pit, so the actors play all of the instruments themselves, most of the time doing so on stage while providing backup vocals to the soloist of the songs. In addition, in keeping with their philosophy, the ASC never uses electricity (they “Do it with the lights on” - there are no stage lights for their performances), so all of the instruments are acoustic AND there are no microphones. Not floor mikes and certainly not personal ones. But you can still hear the actors over the music and everything. Next time you complain about the difficulties of projection, think about that.
- imitate-the-sun likes this
- imitate-the-sun reblogged this from thatgirlonstage
- commonsenseisuncommon reblogged this from thatgirlonstage
- commonsenseisuncommon likes this
- that-girl-named-ashley likes this
- jellybabiesforall reblogged this from ididntmeanitliterally
- jellybabiesforall likes this
- ididntmeanitliterally reblogged this from samuelandcandy
- samuelandcandy reblogged this from everythingisshakespeare
- samuelandcandy likes this
- everythingisshakespeare reblogged this from thatgirlonstage
- thatgirlonstage posted this